View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
ConnClark
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Turbo Diesel Waste Heat Steam Boost Enhancer Thread

By popular demand I have created the Turbo Diesel Waste Heat Steam Boost Enhancer Thread.

The idea is simple. Use exhaust heat after it flows through the turbo to boil water to create steam. Feed this steam into the exhaust manifold. The additional pressure and mass will increase boost which ups efficiency of the engine.

Assuming I can get a friend I have that loves steam engines to help me, I will implement it as a closed one pass system. I will place a water reservoir below the level of the exhaust manifold. I will then run brass or copper tubing from the reservoir to the base of the downpipe of my exhaust. once there I will wrap the piping around the tubing up to the exit of the turbo. The pipe will then tee. One branch will feed into the exhaust system and the other will go back to the reservoir to equalize the pressure.

This set up will not boil as much water as it can with the heat available however it will use the water to its maximum effect. Since the water level will be below the manifold. Steam flowing through the copper or brass tubing above the water level will continue to rise in temperature until it feeds into the exhaust manifold. This will minimize the temp drop of the exhaust gasses when mixed with the lower temp steam. I will also preheat the reservoir with engine coolant.

Every thing in the system will be at exhaust manifold pressure so I figure that designing the system to withstand 70 psi will be more than enough.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo_steam_gen.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	6707