View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
groar
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Last step, doing tests...

As shown in the 1st post, it works : the engine stops while nor the ECU nor the accessories are reset : mov00011.mp4 (2.8MB).

So finally I installed the switch on the DashBoard :

Currently it's temporary. To use the switch I push it down with the forefinger and the middle finger then push the button with the thumb. The place is much more convenient than the key for 2 reasons. First it's much more closed to the horizon so the eyes doesn't have to move as much. Second my right hand can go very easily from the steering wheel to the switch, while it's more difficult to go to the key hidden under the steering wheel.

The last mystery... will I be able to use this switch to FAS ? The stop solenoid is coded, so the solenoid and the ECU must be able to dialog for the solenoid to accept to start, or the ECU to accept to start the solenoid (I don't know the detail). Concretely I may be able to switch the engine off with the switch, but may not be able to restart the engine by bump starting if the solenoid isn't restarted...

As said in the 1st post, it works well so while rolling in neutral when the switch is pushed to off then the engine stops, then when the switch is pushed back to on then the heat plugs are switched on and the airbag resets. After a while, a bump start restarts the engine as usually when I was using the key

From my tests this is what I can say about using the FAS kill switch against using the key :

Positive :
  • The place I put the switch is more convenient than where is the key
  • The steering wheel assistance doesn't disappear suddenly now, much better at home
  • The accessories aren't stopped, noticeably the rear view camera used as the passenger mirror
  • The ECU isn't stopped and reset so the odometer counts every meter, but over all I feel safer
  • The switch can be used as an anti-thief mechanism

Negative :
  • When I Fas to a stop, the key have to be back to I before being able to start the engine, but not a real annoyance.
  • The switch used is a regular one, so I have to push one side to stop then the other side to stop. It's noisy, it will not disturb me but may disturb passengers. I may change it if I can find a simple push button.
  • The electric windows aren't reset so the driver window stay in automatic mode and is much more difficult to move precisely.

Have fun,

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.