View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
steve0
EcoModding Lurker

paisano - '02 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
You're more daring than I am -- I've been lightly modifying a 2002 Jeep Wrangler. The underbody seems to be the quickest fix, with a lot of running gear cluttering up the air stream. The big wheel wells look like major offenders, so I lined them with coroplast, reducing their volume, in hopes of spilling trapped air faster, with less turbulence. This change isn't obvious to the casual viewer. There is still enough vertical wheel travel for bad roads. I probably should have radiused the trailing edges out at the fender skirts, but that's for later.

The TJ has no front bumper skirt like the new Wranglers, so I made one that extends down to axle level. There's plenty of ground clearance.

Added some tire spats fore and aft. It may seem silly, as they ride so high on the front fenders, but I figure that any air that doesn't make it into the wheel well is that much the better.

Black spray paint hides the changes nicely, until the moment when the guys at the repair shop see all this stuff. They still aren't too sure about the Airtabs on the roof, I think.

No highway test yet.