View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automcdonough View Post
At least the EPA has good intentions. Despite all the wrongs they have caused I believe it to be collateral damage, not conspiracy.
I may not be verse with the law in all states, but if there's one thing I'm sure of it's that CARB is a complete racket. I pity anyone modifying a car in CA.

Was this particular case a complete money grab? hard to say, but I don't think anyone is this dense to apply that law out of the blue. I'd put money on a union or rival car company stirring up this trouble.
I don't think they applied it out of the blue, as you say.

Remember, Tesla was certified in 2008, and failed to apply in 2009.

This suggests that Tesla Motors knew that they should have been certified, understood the law regarding that particular certification, and most probably knew that they'd be fined if it came to light that they did not certify, or appeal the certification charter.

Keywords: Appeal the certification charter. They could very well have done this. That's why we have a court system. If you don't agree with something in the law, you take it to court. You hash it out, and you get it fixed. You don't just sit there and assume that because you don't have a tailpipe, that you don't have to pass a compound emissions certification, because that's simply arrogant.

Once again. Has anyone actually checked into the statute underwhich they were fined? Can anyone certify beyond the shadow of a (reasonable) doubt that all we're talking about here is tailpipe emissions certification?

Can anyone say for sure that the same certification for which Tesla Motors was fined doesn't include paragraphs about potentially hazardous compounds, recyclable percentage of material, etc? And even if those things are included, and if TM would have passed those sections of the statute, they still failed to comply.

Just cuz you CAN do your homework, but didn't, doesn't mean you still get to pass the grade.