View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
vtec-e
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
This would imply that the LRR's had a higher pressure than the standard tires. This would be weird, as I haven't seen LRR tires that have higher max sidewall pressure than similar non-LRR tires of the same size. I'd like to see a test of the standard tire with higher pressure, then not only would its RR be lower, but it would also allow a high aquaplaning speed and shorter braking distance (see "Inflation pressure does not affect grip": Autospeed article), making it compareable to the LRR's.
Ah yes, but from what we've all seen here, sidewall pressure is taboo in the mainstream world. I'd say they run them at a slightly higher pressure but only by a few psi. There is no way they would recommend sidewall pressure and even if the tire had a sidewall max of 60psi they still wouldn't recommend 40 or 50 psi. As i've said, it's a taboo subject!

But yeah, i totally agree with you. Higher pressure would reduce aquaplaning and even out treadwear. But that would reduce the amount of tires we'd have to buy and we can't have that!

ollie