View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #127 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Civic Duty View Post
Wow 80MPH cruising speed, that's insane!
Throughly insane, I'm certain that I could improve mileage significantly by slowing down, but i am satisfied with 50 mpg ish on low carbon $3.00 a gallon BioDiesel.

Quote:
Nice quiet ride now while driving down the hiway? 100lbs, what did you use? It seems to me that little bit of wieght for a diesel shouldn't make that much of a difference in overall mpg's & performance.
According to Db meter on my iphone while placed on my right shoulder while cruising at 70 mph with A/C radio etc etc off (not super accurate, but good for comparisons)

Initial reading 96~98 Db (didn't seem that loud, but it wore down on me with longer trips and made me crank the radio louder than I ould have liked

6 speed swap 89~91 Db Very dramatic improvement but note that I also upgraded from Single mass flywheel to Dual mass flywheel, tightened up a lot of random things in the engine bay biggest of which was vibrating turbo support bracket.

SoundDeadner on Floor + hatch only 84~87 Db Biggest thing I noticed was how LOUD all of the rattles on the doors/ sunroof are. Basically this lowered the noise floor down below the sound of the rattles which is HIGLY aggravating.

I used a few CLD (Constrained Layer Dampener) Tiles (10?) mostly around my Subwoofer, a Bunch of CCF (closed cell foam) mainly 1/4" but some 1/8" in odd places and the Main event a Roll of MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) the only way to genuinely reduce noise in a car (CLD just does resonance, nothing else) + new rubber backed carpet. Everything but the Carpet cam from Dan at Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information . Don is THE MAN as far as all of this stuff just fantastic service, easy to deal with no complaints.

I would like to do the Doors, but time is at a premium lately. I would expect my Golf to get down in to the near luxury zone of Sub 80Db. For reference my friends LS 400 measures in the 80~82 Db range.

The biggest thing I noticed with the weight is that it is easier to bottom out the front suspension coming off of a bridge by a friends house.
Quote:
Fuel is not consistent? Using bio blends, or just different fueling stations?
I Run BioDiesel made by a local guy with multiple feedstock sources. drum to drum there are noticeable (all be it slight) differences in power/ range/ smoothness.

Quote:
thanks for the quick reply,
Dave
That's what Iphones are for :-)
Hope that info helps someone out!
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
The Following User Says Thank You to dremd For This Useful Post:
Dave's Civic Duty (09-08-2010)