View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
redyaris
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
What I have done to date, I have not tested regerusly because I am more interested in the long term outcome of better fuel economy. So my fuel log is my test, the trend is the mesure of my success. I have read enough aerodynamics to know what has worked in the past. The most noticable change came from the styrofoam "saddle bags" they are about 4.5" wide 16" tall, and 24 inches long. various shaped styro foam peaces have been glued on to fill up the space behind the legs in a way that does not interfear with stoping or riding the bike, it is a work in progress. I have begune to make my own plexyglass windshield extensions; heating them in my oven in a cemicycle shaped peace of sheet aluminium. Only screwed up a couple of times and have been learning... I rarley ride in the tucked position. I take the same view that Vetter and Janvos take... the fuel economy of normal riding is what matter to me. When I have got the real saddle bags made and installed I will post a DIY discription that others can copy. I do not do much hyper miling on my bike, I do long costs to a stop, posted speed, gentle acceleration, nothing very radical. My central focus is aerodynamics because motorcycle are poor aerodynamicaly. a good motorcycle has a drag coeficiant of 0.65 a good car has a 0.32 which is twice as good. I suspect that a aerodynamicaly well design conventional motorcycle can get to 0.45 even without going all the way to a "dustbin" fairing which is fully inclosed.

Last edited by redyaris; 09-03-2010 at 11:11 AM..