Thread: Morelli Shape
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Jim and I have started a conversation about his Miastrada design, and my concerns are almost identical to the above post; with the additional one that the aerodynamics of the wheels/batteries/motor(s) in the lower carriages reintroduce the exact issues that raising the passenger pod up high, is supposed to avoid. The driver's sight lines to the ground directly in front of the Miastrada seem quite problematic.

The lower portion will have plenty of aerodynamic interaction with the ground. And, the lower portion will also have an aerodynamic interaction with the passenger pod above it.

So Jim, I am very doubtful that your intended benefit of ultra-low aerodynamic drag is possible with this design. I think it might be possible to get the benefit of the ultra-low drag Morelli concept with highly streamlined wheel pods like these:

In fact the Audi Avatar is pretty much exactly a Morelli shape with really sleek wheels on the ground. It would still be a complex structural and controls and entry and exit issues, but it avoids many of the snags that the Miastrada design has.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/