View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
I know this next comment is OT:
I am ignorant of why you talk of imperial mpg, I had thought that england went to the metric system. Perhaps it is a bit like peru where they use the metric system for everything except fuel where they use the US Gallon. Or here in the USA where most medical is metric and the civilian population uses english measurement except of course for volume among others.
As Rob tapped we use a mix of Imperial and Metric in the UK (remember England is just one part). In terms of measurement sometimes when I'm in the US it reminds me of 1950s Britiain with ounces, fl oz, etc. which aren't used here any more. Everything has to be sold in Metric but we still buy milk and beer in pints - which is of course labelled as 0.xx litres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
I still get a laugh out of NASA sticking a valuable weather satellite into Mars because the ground computers used Pounds and the spacecraft used Newtons in calculating thrust.
Kind of like the Spinal Tap joke were they mix up the ' and " symbols for feet and inches (they are opposite in the UK compared to the US - so I am 5'9" for example).

I'm happy with the kilokilo tank though - this is a small hatch, smaller than a VW Golf with an official tank size of 49 litres, which is about 11 UK gallons. 50 mpg would get me 550 miles, so I'm shooting for an extra 80-100 miles...