View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
tinkerbill
EcoModding Lurker

Building tadpole trike for street use

Hello fellow modders! Thought I would apprise those who are interested of my current motorcycle project plans. For some time now I have been gathering parts and pieces to build a tadpole (2 front, 1 back tire) trike with covered body. The usual route in this configuration is to put power to the single back wheel however I want this thing to be FWD. Towards that goal I recently scored big-time in the purchase of a rolling Polaris Scrambler 4x4 frame. This model (and others) utilizes a McPearson arrangement for the front suspension with CV axles and small 3rd member up front. I plan on replacing the 3rd member with my own modified differential sourced from an older John Deere riding mower. It already has a 45 tooth sprocket for chain drive. I will be installing a Honda 350 twin out front in the open, kind of like the Morgan 3-wheelers and doing a short chain run back to my modified differential. It will not have reverse but at a planned weight of <500lbs I should have no trouble rolling it back if need be. I'd love to install a diesel engine in this thing but that is not in budget After this rig is running OK I will start work on a body for it. I'm thinking about 3ft wide in front tapering to about 24/22 inches at the tail end. Suspension and front tires will extend further out of body for an estimated width of about 5ft. Hopefully the frame mods will allow placement of two seats in tandem. I have no idea as to mpg but I'm hoping for at least 60 or more. I plan to run DOT-approved 4-ply street tires on the original 10" rims (22x10x10). That's a little wider than needed but it will look good. It has taken me a fair amount of time just to source the components I now have as I am building this on a pretty strict retirement budget. As time allows, I will be posting a link to pictures of actual rig but for now I am attaching a pic of a trike design that comes the closest to what I have planned. Mine will be a little narrower/taller and of course the engine will be up front instead of out back. I welcome questions and/or suggestions.
Have a good labor day weekend everyone!
tinkerbill

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TimeMachine.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	6760