Thread: Morelli Shape
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #37 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hi Jim,

I'm pretty sure that the free space number on the boxfish shape was 0.06 and the 0.095 number applies to the blue model with wheels. There is a later blue model with open wheels (no mention of it's Cd) and the final "real" Bionic car with diesel engine and open wheels (partial rear skirts only) with a Cd of 0.19.

The 0.095 is the lowest number I have ever seen for a wheeled car -- I have confirmed that I am remembering it correctly. Since it already has wheels, that issue is removed... Unfortunately, that is the only image of the model I have ever found, so extrapolating all the key bits is not easy.

And as I said, since the section is basically square-ish, the volume inside is very practical and usable.
You can't compare the Cd of full-size cars against clay models. In the translation from model to reality, M-B added 0.10 to the Cd. Some of that was from altering the basic body shape for more usable interior space, but they also added panel gaps and dozens of necessary features like door handles and brakes.

Anyway, you've seen lower drag shapes: the Goldenrod salt flats car, most EcoMarathon cars, some early 80's concepts from Detroit, and probably even the AeroCivic and Dolphin.