View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Weather spotter, looks like some great progress on the hypermiling tips wiki, looks really good I also like your links to the mod pages as the hypermiling and mods are often complementary.

Some of these tips will be difficult to quantify so may have to be inferred from other results. Like the "Let the most efficient driver drive" the maximum improvement of this can be the same number as the "Use a fuel consumption display" as the number really represents the difference between a driver that has not tried hypermiling compared to one that has and this has been quantified on the scangauge mod already.

Regarding your question on linking to info on other pages, there is no way I have seen in the guides about how to do this. There is the ability to put in HTML into the wiki but that is beyond my knowledge so feel free to see if you can do this but from how I understand how wiki's work this may not be possible at all.

I like the idea of inspiring others to enter data, I think when the wiki becomes more popular others will enter in their experiences since it is a way to help out the whole group and it doesn't get lost in the masses of threads. The one sticking point is the slight difficulty of entering data into the wiki by only using text. I have looked for wiki editors which have a more familiar interface like Microsoft word or something like that but I did find any decent results. Maybe some web developers in the group might know of a user friendly wiki editing tool or add in.

I have also been tempted by the idea of having a linked page at the top of both the mod list and the hypermiling list for a list of easy changes or common changes (I notice lost of people have wheel hub covers, side window deletes but hardly anyone has replaced their engine). I see many threads where someone is new to ecomodding and asks so what can I do with my car, I wonder how many people don’t ask the question and get a bit put off by the large amount of mods that look fairly hard.