View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Apologies, couldn't resist.

However I have wondered about a slightly different approach in using the turbo to do other things such as battery charging for Hybrids as this is, as you say, wasted 'free' energy. You would need to gear down the turbo speed to drive a generating device but as the turbo may not have all that much torque in it...?

My original thought came about from the issues that early turbos had with lag, for example pressurising a cylinder of some kind with normal air from outside captured from the air filter box, and having that air released to provide additional torque - a little like the Honda IMA idea - or using it to overcome the inertia of the turbo until the exhaust pressure builds up enough to take over. This would be via a 3rd turbine so the exhaust system isn't being pressurised.

For the former those air-hogs compressed air motor things are what triggered the thought. Obviously it would need to be larger, not plastic and not mounted to a model airplane that immediate demolishes itself against a tree - or maybe that was just my experience

One issue - does anyone know the pumping loss from the engine of having a turbo being spun on the exhaulst but not providing boost input to it ?
mcrews (09-07-2010)