View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Since we're starting to split hairs, maybe we should define the mile we are talking about:
1 statute mile = 1,609.344 metres
1 survey mile = 1,609.3472 meters
1 nautical mile = 1,852 metres

Thankfully, in the metric system 1 meter = 1 metre

So I propose a nauti-kilo (nauti tank?) goal of 1850km between the 1000mi (1600km) kilotank and the 2000km bi-kilokilo. Groar, you almost licked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
I know this next comment is OT:
I am ignorant of why you talk of imperial mpg, I had thought that england went to the metric system. Perhaps it is a bit like peru where they use the metric system for everything except fuel where they use the US Gallon. Or here in the USA where most medical is metric and the civilian population uses english measurement except of course for volume among others.
If cars were fueled by ale, then British gas pumps would measure in pints...
But that's a long story. In the US, you buy milk in gallons and soda in liters. Automotive tire sizes are the same world-round, ie tread width in mm but hub diameter in inches. But mountain bike tires are in inches only (2.1x26) while road bike tires are in metric (700x25). Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
Now some people have 45L (11.8 USgal) tanks, while others (as I do ) have 60L (15.9 USgal)...
And that's why some of us can do 1000km without trying, while others will struggle just to get to the next gas station.
I once talked to the owner of a car like mine, only he had the 2.0 diesel instead of my 1.6 diesel. When I told him I once got over 1650km on a tank, he replied that he's done almost 1500km once or twice. This was hard to believe, as he has no aeromods and isn't into hypermiling. Then I found out he has a 70 liter tank, which is 20% larger than mine (58l). With 70 liters I could scratch 2000km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I only use the measurements of her majesty.
I wonder what's the average mpg(imperial, of course) of Her Majesty's car fleet?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread