View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #303 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Oops I forgot, yes it can be used as a charger too. RTD explorer would work the same if I make the serial output the same. The problem is there are 6 pwm outputs now, and 3 currents, so modifications would be needed. Right now my serial output is just random numbers for debugging. It also has CANbus, so I could send data at a much higher rate to another "thing" that has CAN.

I used to do a lot of DirectX programming in C/C++, but I haven't done any recently. It would take me probably a couple months of only doing that if I wanted to do something like RTD.

Modular firmware would be possible I think. Actually, now that you mention it, the code could be written with all the variables there, and just different configurations, and maybe just different conditional compiler directives.

The charger is a constant current/constant voltage algorithm right now, set up for Thundersky batteries, and expects communication with a BMS through CAN, so it would be the most different of all the code I think, but still is really similar. You have a "throttle" to set the charge current.

It would work with a 500 amp SR, since it only has a single 12amp driver for each of the 6 pwm channels, so I need to modify the board for 2 drivers per pwm channel, and only have 2 pwm channels. That should allow for 1000 amp. The current capability isn't the problem, it's the load capacitance capability of the driver. 10 of those gigamos mosfets have too high of a capacitance for just that one driver.

Yes, it could also do a switched reluctance motor as far as I know. The stator magnetic field rotates just like normal I think.
sawickm (09-06-2010)