View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
dmac257
EcoModding Lurker

aerobrick - '04 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SXT
general questions .. dams, pans, skirts, spats, tails etc.

OK .. I have been looking for recommendations for placement of air dam, belly pan, side skirts, wheel spats, wheel boat tails with respect to ground height.

The only thing I found for air dam is "as low as the lowest under belly part .. or lower" However I have seen several vehicles with air dams almost touching the ground. Is there an ideal ground clearance as far as aerodynamics is concerned?

Belly Pans also nothing about an ideal height and I could not find anything about the contour of the pan itself (ie can it curve from the bottom of the door panel under the vehicle to the other side or is it better to be parallel to the road) .. but I found a suggestion that if full belly pan .. higher is better than lower.

If both air dam and belly pan the air dam doesn't need to go below the pan as everything behind the dam is smoothed by the pan?

Side skirts along the side between the front and rear wheel. Would these extend down below the center of the wheels and if so how far down? Also same question for front of wheel spats and behind wheel boat tails. Is the goal to part the air in front of the front wheel .. guide it past on both sides with the skirt to the rear wheel .. then recombine behind the rear wheel.

Would the ideal shape of the underside of the vehicle be a smooth tunnel parallel to the road that begins to rise up towards the rear bumper just before recombination behind rear end (small turbulant wake).

I am thinking to do as much as I can .. and would like to know how these all fit together for end product so I can plan how to proceed

Don