View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Weegie5
EcoModding Lurker

Golf - '04 Volkswagen Golf TDI GLS
long time lurker | looking for advice

Hey all,

I've been lurking on the site on and off for the past few years and finally decided to register. I'm the proud owner of a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) and I'm wondering if perhaps I should unload it and go with something more thrifty on the fuel, like a Volkswagen TDI. Seeing what CRDs are selling for gives me hope that I could sell the Jeep and pick up a used TDI for no out-of-pocket cash. (In fact, I might just pocket a little bit!)

My wife hates the Liberty and would gladly see it go, except she does like the peace of mind it offers in foul weather with 4WD (as do I). She drives a 1.8L Nissan Sentra that gets ~30mpg and she'd love a Rouge or Murano, but those just aren't in the cards. Maybe we sell her car too and she can have a small AWD ride as her DD.

I read in TEX's thread someone suggest a Matrix or Vibe, and I hadn't even thought of those. What other AWD options are out there besides those two that can get 30+mpg? Subarus don't come all that close. VW 4motion & Audi Quattro both get lousy economy. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts!

Thanks,
James