View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
HONDA Dream-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The video reveals a lot of additional details; especially about the front, but also has better side profile and better angles of the back, as well.

I like it a lot, too. Save for the ultra-low ground clearance at the front tire especially, this design is ready to go... very practical, and the lowest Cd I have ever heard of.

The fish itself has a Cd of 0.04.

The computer model of the fish has a Cd of 0.06.

This 1/4 scale clay model has a Cd of 0.095.

Staggeringly good stuff...

The nose and the front fenders are a revelation. The dropped hood line mimics the boxfish's nose (which is the strangest looking thing, and it has to be there for a reason!) -- provides a very low stagnant point, and that is something I didn't emphasis on my CarBŚN. Most of the air that meets the nose gets deflected upward at first, and some then gets shifted to the sides -- but the main thing is that as much of the air as possible is excluded from the underside. The hard chined front fenders are striking, and the sharp fins on the bottom edges on the back are intriguing.

The sides are more curved, the roof arch is very strong, with that little "flip" at the back. There is a lot to digest here...
Neil,the HONDA Dream-2 solar racer was rated at Cd 0.10 and that a car the size of a Chevy Caprice Classic.
For the model at Cd 0.095,with no ventilation system,cut lines,cooling system,wipers,door handles,antenna,etc.,it seems very reasonable.