View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #32 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ad-3292-4.html

Aeromodder - that short little kamm looks a lot like the solid part of my tail that is directly behind the rear window. I did a little experimenting this summer. Oh last year I actually lost FE when I extended the tail farther like the last page of my build thread. Earlier I used a cheap plastic ($5) and it lasted 2 weeks. I feared mpg would tank due to the open parachute, but it didn't really affect it much at all but the year was still early and cold. Then I replaced it, and we had more sun this summer than I've seen in 20 years. The UV killed the plastic by July 4 and I started losing panels, but not FE. Then they all fell off and still the FE was about the same. Then a few weeks ago I decided to cut the extension off (can easily weld it back on if needed) and try it with the Prius/Aztek look. Still about the same. I added plastic after that but still about the same. So I'm guessing that just about all of the FE gain comes from that little solid part right behind the rear window like you see on page 3 of the build thread. I need to get some pics, I've not been on the computer much lately.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver