View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
dmac257
EcoModding Lurker

aerobrick - '04 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Ahead of the front wheels they recommend nothing below a line projecting forwards and up at a 16-degree angle.
Behind the front tires and in front rear tires they say to respect a 10-degree angle.
And behind the car,also a 10-degree angle.
Anything hanging lower is at risk of being scrunched at the nearest driveway ramp.
Many states have laws forbidding any portion of the car to be below the bottom of the wheel rim bottom.If say,you made wheel fairings which were lower,the first pot-hole might rip them right off.
The belly pan should maintain the highest allowable ground clearance.
The diffuser portion at its rear will be determined by where it begins.
I will be able to tell you more about the airdam/bellpan question in a few weeks.On my Civic,even with a smooth belly,the car got better mpg with an airdam blocking air from underneath the car.All the lowest-drag,highest mpg concept cars block the underside even with perfect bellypans.
Side skirts should be even with the belly.
So these angles are based on the bottom of the wheels to prevent ripping parts off the underside of the vehicle?

My state (Connecticut) states minimum ground clearance is 4" and I am plenty high enough for that. Are you saying that the air dam should go down as low as either 4" (state limit) OR the 16degree angle, whichever is higher?
Would spats also follow this 16degree angle forward from the 4" clearance height? Would boat tails following the wheels angle up at 10degrees from 4" also?

As for the belly pan, you say highest allowable ground clearance. Ok, would this be as flat as possible from side to side or would curved higher on edges work better/worse? In conjunction with skirts it looks like you are saying flat accross and build down with the skirts to level of the pan. Is that right? And if I do full belly pan should the air dam in front extend below the pan or stop even with the pan?

And part I dont understand at all:
"The diffuser portion at its rear will be determined by where it begins" Heh, I dont even have a clue on WHAT to ask about this comment ;-)

I am going to go see if I can pick up some Clorplast tomorrow and will begin trying to figure out how to attach the big pieces so they are easily removed.

Don