View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Thank you all for the advice. I am going to try the chalk method this weekend. (Thanks Fubeca)

I do drive pretty light footed especially on the highway. Usually only giving it just enough right foot to keep moving at 55. In town I don't even use 4th gear. 1st thru 3rd to get up to 30-35 then 5th (O/D) to maintain it.

Rmay- This may sound silly but, can you explain what you meant by "a ginger driver can take advantage of gears higher than the vehicle can realistically tolerate by not overloading the motor at low RPMs." Does this mean I might have a more difficult time driving in-town at lower speeds/rpms? Without a tach I can only guess what kind of rpm's I am turning at 55mph but I would think around 1600-1800. That's just a guess though. In-town at 35mph in 5th gear I wouldn't have a clue.

After checking the great link from Olympiadis (Thanks) it seems I have an open 7.5" rear end with 3.73 gears. There are two other gearings listed lower than mine. (3.45 and 3.08) I wonder if either of these two would be beneficial to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Last edited by hat_man; 09-09-2010 at 12:02 PM..