View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
BigSherm
EcoModding Lurker

My 100(+)mpg feet-forward motorcycle project

Hi everyone. I'm Sherm.

I've been planning, researching, and concocting this project for a long time. I went back and forth between using the 250 Ninja, the EX500, and a smaller displacement, single cylinder bike for my starting platform. I even considered a liter bike!

I ended up deciding on the 2-fiddy Ninja with the goal of over 100mpg. I figure it will have the power to handle southern California's, um, highly competitive freeways, maybe even if I make the bike a two seater.

I live in the high Mojave Desert, and any trip of length always ends up including the Cajon Pass. It's a long, long, steep grade, and of course, a trip down it is followed sooner or later by a trip up it. The power the 250 Ninja should be enough. Maybe after I knock this project out of the park, I'll build one with a smaller engine and go for 200mpg? This will be easy, and go very quickly without obstacles, right? Uhh..

So anyway, with lots of inspiration from Theycallmeebryan's achievement of 100MPG on his 250 Ninja, Craig Vetter's Helix streamliner, John and his 250 powered HyperRocket three wheeler, Allert Jacobs' 125 Honda streamliner, and the Ecomobile/Monotracer, here I go!

I found some pics of a naked 250 Ninja, used the known wheelbase to make a roughly scaled stick man of myself, and started planning.

Here's one sketch of an open top design. With this design, I figure a lengthened swingarm and removal of the subframe for the seat being most of the major frame mods.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG bike.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	6799  

Last edited by BigSherm; 09-13-2010 at 04:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to BigSherm For This Useful Post:
joedupont (12-20-2010)