View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
brucey
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Another Block Heater Thread with a twist

Went and got a Kat's Circulating heater for the car instead of using an OEM style. Mainly because I've seen the 'in block' kind before and wasn't too impressed by it.

But they appear to be designed for american V8's and not bizarre subaru motors, there is a couple things of the boxer design that have me confused on where to place this thing:

Here and Here are the instructions that came with it.

Simple right?

Except I can't tap into the lower radiator hose because of the location of my thermostat, and I can't tap into the coolant drain plug on the block because I don't have one. I just have this giant one where the OEM style goes.

The thermostat is below the water pump, which would block the path for the lower radiator hose.

I can't really make sense of it. Right now my best idea is going to take the coolant drain out and drill and tap it for the 5/8th hose connection. But I'm having a hard time finding a tap that large. The one that came with my tap and die set doesen't have anything that large.

Any help from you guys would be appreciated, as I want to get this done before the weather gets cold and nights are already getting to 50F.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolantpath.GIF
Views:	1100
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	6814