View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
EdKiefer
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohour View Post
I would say the engine maybe not even run if you pull just one injector and spark plug. Have you even driven a car with a lost cylinder? It doesn't end well. Especially if you keep driving.

You would have to do two, and even then the engine management system will know something is wrong. You'll get misfirecodes and with only half the cylinders firing your O2's and emissions system would most likely end up showing codes. And as I remember most cars dump into a preset mode once you have the CEL for emissions. The settings are not the most efficient but a generic default for the car. This is done incase the engine management losses single from vital components.

So long story short, it won't work. You would have better luck pulling a large motorcycle 2 cylinder and going from there. But even at that rate the build cost will be $$$.

What mileage are you currently getting versus your goal? Even if you could acheive a 60HP engine in a 626, I doubt you're going to break 35-40mpg. Simply power/weight/gearing. And 60hp in car that size would pretty much be unsafe on the highway.

There are other ways of getting more MPGs. What else have you tried?
You must disable the intake valve or the sensors like MAF or even MAP will be reading the suction of the disable cylinders , which for sure would pull code .
The 626 I don't think measure crank movement for misfire code (as AFAIK is a distributor ignition system ),but if it does that would be a issue .
But your right I can't see it being drivable in 626 or worth while in long run.

Last edited by EdKiefer; 09-12-2010 at 11:04 AM..