View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
EdKiefer
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by saand View Post
I tried out some tests tonight, disconnected 1 and then 2 injectors and the car still ran. I moved around the plugged in injectors to ensure that I got the worst case firing sequence (2 on then 2 off) and the car still started to my surprise.
The engine did however vibrate around a lot, I do have the RPM turned down so I guess that is expected and can be improved a little.
If I was to remove the piston the vibration would only get worse as it would have the uneven firing which was causing vibration in my test tonight and it would have the unbalanced pistons.
During my previous research one of the websites mentioned a 2 cylinder would sound like a Harley and it definitely does, not sure I mind though. makes it sound like it has a bit of guts even though it will take off really slow.

when I get some more time and there aren't so many cars around I shall have to take the car out for a spin on 3 and 2 cylinders only see how it goes.

Euromodder, Im not sure about the diesel version in Oz, I got this one second hand and I didn't really look around at alternatives at all but I haven't seen all that many diesels until recently in the last few years so doubt there would be many in 91.
AFAIK your firing order is 1342 , so if you started with 1 firing the next one would be 4 , (2 an 3 disabled) , I think that would work best .

The problem is when driving will you be much more into throttle than before driving around , I think in city driving with weight of 626 and only half the engine, plus the fact the ECU is not optimized anymore (the sensor data will be way out of normal ranges) there be good chance of using more fuel .

To bad you can't hook up SG2 and do quick check of mpg driving around (before after) .