View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tri91
EcoModding Lurker

#1 - My Baby - '91 Honda Civic Hatchback DX
90 day: 35.4 mpg (US)

#2 - White DX - '91 Honda Civic Hatchback DX

#3 - The Beater - '91 Honda Civic Hatchback SI
90 day: 28.94 mpg (US)
Hmm,... Ok, so if I understand correctly, immobilizing one tire will cause the other one to spin exactly twice as fast. So my count of engine revolutions is indeed off by half since I only turned the tire around once. Therefore, I've got 2 DX & 1 SI transmissions like I'm supposed to have. Yeh! Thank you.

About the second problem, that car had to of been in towing range (say 50 miles) of the used car lot I found it on. The main roads in that range have speed limits between 45-70mph. So the engine was probably at about 3000 rpm and in 5th gear when the engine seized. There is no indication that the front slammed into the ground as would have happened had the tires seized as well. I figure that either the clutch slipped and/or the transmission gear(s) are cracked/broken. Guess, since I was able to spin it without jamming or anything with no load, I'll have to put it in a car for a loaded test. That will envolve draining the oil,... Easy enough to see if there is any metal bits at that point. Anybody have real world experience with transmissions that have been through an engine seize at speed? Did they survive to live on or were they done for?