View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
SuperHatch
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '99 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 37.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengry View Post
With that tall hf final drive It almost makes all the gear swapping not worth it. I understand your desire to liven up the low end, however with such a tall final drive you are doing alot of work to still have a slow car with tall gears.
Changing the final drive simply isn't an option, I won't sacrifice the cruising fuel economy of this car. However, anyone who has driven an HF can attest to how terrible the RPM drop between 1-2 and 2-3 gears are.

Honestly, it is not a whole lot of work to swap out the gears, I've pulled apart these transmissions before. A complete ZC trans can be had for $150, which will have all the required parts for second and third gear. People practically give away DX transmissions which is where I will find my 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstreampilot View Post
Keep in mind swapping gears is not that simple. There are several main shaft and counter shaft parts that need to be addressed, which are not likely to be interchangeable.
As stated above, most D-Series parts are interchangeable. Nearly all are when using parts from 88-91 cable clutch transmissions into other cable clutch transmissions. It starts getting a little more hokey when putting parts from the later hydro clutch transmissions into the cable clutch boxes and vice versa. I mean, the guys building close ratio D boxes for racing use HF 3rd gears as their 4th gears.