View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #40 (permalink)
TheMarkofPolo
Fhqwhgads

Vibe o' the Ozarks - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 31.22 mpg (US)
I drive highways A LOT to see family in KC, SW Missouri, and Tulsa, OK. It's usually bearable. Since I've picked up hypermiling, I've had a few more tailgaters but not many...they're usually the compensating-for-something monster pickups that could go around me at anytime but somehow hesitate to lane over and pass.

On another note, people tend to slow down quite a bit before taking an exit ramp. I sometimes do this to maximize fuel economy IF traffic behind me is minimal. But last week, a whole stream of cars slowed down to take an exit. I was in the left lane at speed. One of the trucks in the middle of the string realizes that they're not turning and just hop into the left lane. No turn signal, no apparent look over the shoulder or a glimpse in the mirror.

I had to slam on the brakes and honk to notify them of the near-hit. The driver didn't seem to notice and lingered in the left lane for another quarter mile before slowly weaving back into the right lane (no turn signal). I pass without hesitation to avoid any more danger. Although...I did "show" her how to lane over by crossing back and forth a couple times while signaling.

As far as St Louis driving goes, I've gotten used to it, and hypermiling in the city at off-peak hours is doable. The biggest issue so far is drivers not allowing you to lane over when necessary.

"Price is what the person pays. Cost is what society pays, here, now, elsewhere and into the future." Natural Capitalism