View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tri91
EcoModding Lurker

#1 - My Baby - '91 Honda Civic Hatchback DX
90 day: 35.4 mpg (US)

#2 - White DX - '91 Honda Civic Hatchback DX

#3 - The Beater - '91 Honda Civic Hatchback SI
90 day: 28.94 mpg (US)
Trapped in The Wrong Lane

I mostly drive on multi-lane roads where passing is of little difficulty. Never the less I do have difficulties from time to time. I've noticed when I pass anyone they'll tend to accelerate slightly. I've even noticed that my car will accelerate slightly when passed even with the cruise control on. So I sorta expect that (some sorta aerodynamics thing). The major incident I'm thinking of is when the person you are passing actively tries to prevent you from doing so. On a multi-lane road it is mostly annoying but on a two-lane highway it can be deadly.

The two-lane highway that leads off to the local junkyard has a light at the city limits then it opens up into miles of trees before reaching the stopsign at the end. Traffic tends to get bunched up because of the light. I got caught behind a car going 45, the speed limit being 55 the entire length. I patiently waited for a good passing opportunity from a safe following distance of about 2sec behind. There was a group of 8 cars tailgating me and each other. When I got my chance, the oncoming cars where small dots on the horizon. I didn't expect any problems passing so I just put my foot down and started accelerating smoothly, I'm only going up to the speedlimit+5. Several cars followed me out and I fully expect the tailgaters to pass me after I move over. There is plenty of room for that. When I was just starting to pass the guy, I heard his engine pickup and he pulled even with me. Still plenty of space so I downshifted one gear and increased my acceleration. He followed suit. By time I'd reached 90, the distance to the oncoming cars had been halfed. I tried to decelerate slightly to fall in behind him but he followed suit blocking me. There is just enough room left if I can out accelerate him. I down shifted into third and floor it. No good, he matches me. At this point I see that the cars behind me have all fallen back and are giving me enough room back there if I can just get there. The oncoming group of cars is headed by an 18-wheel logging truck who is not slowing down. Cars behind him have pulled off the road. I engine brake and nail the regular brakes hard causing the car to nosedive and become loose. As soon as I see the back of his car, (he is already braking!), I nail the gas and swerve hard right. Getting in behind him with only a second to spare, I have to get hard on the brakes again to prevent ramming him. He continues to slow and is now going 30mph in a 55 zone. I fall back to a safe distance and notice that the second bunch of cars off the light have caught up and doubled the number of cars tailgating me. When I do get another passing opportunity, I don't mess around, I down shift and redline it. As I pass him, I can hear that he is trying to match me again!!! But it is not enough this time. By time I move back into the proper lane I'm going faster than I thought my car capable of going. Before I completely lose sight of them, I note that only the yellow car that was immediately behind me has followed suit. But it is hard to tell because they are well over a mile back. It is one of the few times that accelerating has ever got me far enough away from a problem driver so as to never see him again. It is the only time I didn't slow down until I had to, that stopsign is at a 90deg tee.

This was many years ago. I still think of it. The only thing I can think of is that the guy was serial killer who engineers "accidents." Think of it, would the cops ever suspect someone of that? Would they ever be able to find such a killer??? Afterall accidents are accidental and cars aren't weapons unless you hit a cop.

This isn't the only time this has happened either. It also happens on multi-lane roads. I've had people pass me only to get in front and hit the brakes, forcing my out of my lane then proceed to block me in a simular manner. Doesn't seem to matter if I take the left lane or the shoulder though. They'll do the same thing either way. Only if I do take the shoulder, I'll stop and so far they haven't. They will slow way down though. And, oddly, most of the time traffic won't pass them,...

Has anyone had any simular incidents where some driver was trying to cause an "accident?"

I can't be the only one. My ecomodding is of the stealth variety, no obvious car mods and I use DWL, speedlimit+5mph, and engine braking. I don't see how it keeps happening to me other than there are a lot of {BEEP} out there doing it to everyone and anyone.