View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #332 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
haha No Ben!! I'm fine. School starts on Monday, and I sold a couple kits a couple weeks into the vacation. So, you want to hear even more interesting news?! I sent in the power board layout too for the AC controller once I got that bankage (is that a word? hahaha) and it just arrived NOW!!! and then I found a 75 pound 9 HP AC motor on Ebay for $79 and $40 shipping. It also arrived NOW! (well, like 10 minutes ago). It may be able to be "rewound" using the trick from the Australian Electric Vehicle Association. Check out that link here:
You Australians are awesome!!!

The trick is to take a, say, 440v 1500RPM motor (numbers are chosen to make the math work out nicely in this example), and cut some of the windings and put them in parallel so that you get a 110v 1500 RPM motor. Then you run the motor at 4 times the rpm by overvolting it. So, now if you run it at 440v, it is doing 6000 rpm, which 4 times the power of what it was before. At least I think that's how it works. haha.

Hey! We also just got a donor car for FREE yesterday evening at 11pm. It's in really good shape. A Honda Civic hatchback. The owner, my wife's best friend, just gave it to us for nothing. It already got around 45 mpg when she drove it, so it's pretty efficient.
mpgmike (01-26-2022)