View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
EdKiefer
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
The reason I mentioned the NEED to change what the o2 sensor is seeing is due the the excess o2 from the disabled sensors. Of course it will work fine, it will read too much o2 and start to dump in the fuel to compensate. This isn't conjecture but fact based on experience and my understanding of engine electronics.

Frank, I've heard you refer to this idea as a guaranteed failure on many occasions, and while my own expirementation wasn't a complete sucess in that the fuel was getting dumped into the oil, I did manage to increase my mpgs by about 10 to 20%--had I not been wasting fuel by over fueling the running cylinders, I would have done better.

I'm in the same boat as saand, I have limited resources and have a strong desire to save money on fuel. The ideal solution would be a way to disable half the engine at the crank instead of the fuel, but that is much more complicated and pricey.

This bit here seems odd.....

We've got people shaving off their door mirrors and removing windhshield wipers for much less than 20 or 10 or 5 percent increase. I don't understand why this particular mod rubs you the wrong way?
I don't follow why you think O2 would dump more fuel in as long as no air is being drawn in. O2 don't know or care if its 2 ,4 ,6 or 8 cylinder, its the % that it reads not quantity . now if intake valve was open it be different story, it would "try" and compensate to keep 14.7 .

you sure you were in closed loop mode ?

I could understand when engine is cold or even hot under load with open loop . I have hard time seeing the MAF sensor (If memory right Mazda 526 has flap door type) would work right with only 2 cylinders , this type of sensor really needs smooth velocity airflow to work right , I could see the door might bounce at low speeds .

Edit: what sensor is being disabled ? , it only has 1 O2 on the manifold AFAIK

Last edited by EdKiefer; 09-18-2010 at 01:59 PM..