View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
cooguyfish
EcoModding Lurker

I'd expect to be one of a kind on here, but...

You never know. My biggest hobby/fun in life (outside of my wife and kid ) is cars, inside of that hobby my biggest two things are:

1) performance, I'm a sport's car nut to the core
2) fuel mileage

Presently, I have some many cars that my sports car is on hold until I can build the engine for it. So for now I drive what I considered one of the most fuel efficient "real" cars out there (by real, I mean something that doesn't feel like a tin can like say, my old 84 rabbit). DD is a 98 Jetta TDI 5 spd with 263K miles on it and I get right around 46-50 MPG. It used to do a bit better but obviously it's got a lot of miles on it and there are things I haven't had a chance to do that it probably needs.

So, my ultimate goal however is to build a fuel efficient sports car. The sports car I own is the first car I ever owned and as such I don't want to part with it. It's a 87 Fiero GT. Originally equipped with a 2.8 V6, and 3 spd auto. I will be replacing it with a 5 spd manual, and what I'll call a 2800 V6. By 2800 I mean it will have a hybrid of parts both new and old. I'm using a 3100 V6 block, intake, & heads. With the old 2.8 crank, rods, pistons. I'll also be using a custom cam. This engine will make 12.5 or so compression, and compression makes both great power, and great fuel mileage.

I expect the car I am building to generate 225+ HP, run into the 12's in the 1/4, and return me 40 MPG+ on the highway when I am being easy one it.

Anyways, sorry for the long story. I figure there aren't going to be as many fuel MPG nuts, and performance nuts on here...

But if I'm wrong great