View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The Altima had 3/4 tank full of fuel that was at least 1 year old, so I topped it up with some fresh gas. It took right at 10 gallons or about a 50/50 mix of new and old gas.

So far the average mileage is right at 35 MPG, compared to the EPA combined of 26. I reset the fuel consumption computer on the Interstate. Averaging 61 MPH with one coast down on the off ramp after 10 miles the mileage reading was 41.5 MPG.

That's on a 50% mix of year old gas, so I will run it down very close to empty before the next fill. At 35 MPG average the range per tank will be close to 700 miles on 20 gallons.

While this is not as high as the Insight and the VX, driving the motorcycle occasionally (close to 1000 miles since I put it on the road at 85 MPG average) my overall fuel consumption will average about the same.

Additional savings will come from having only one car on my insurance. The bike is $90 per year, and the MG is an antique, so it gets permanent tags, no property tax, and $90 per year insurance.

The insurance savings per year will be several hundred dollars, so in the long run my overall costs will be lower.

Not bad for 11.5k bucks in a 20k mile car that was close to 30k new.

I though about it yesterday. I have recycled close to 600,000 pounds of cars since my first rebuild in 1973. Somewhere close to 200 over that 37 year time frame.

regards
Mech