Thread: Morelli Shape
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #167 (permalink)
Jim Bullis
EcoModding Lurker

RobertSmalls,

As to the plunking of $50K to $60K, which is about right for actually powering a car of the sort we might expect, yes it 'buys you' ownership of the power produced.

But I take a next step and ask, "Hey! What are your options once you have that power production going?" I would answer, "Well, assuming that there is a rational public utility and regulatory commision involved, there would be an option to simply sell your power back to the utility." I think you might say, "Well heck Jim, I guess I would rather buy a Prius, with Hybrid Synergy Drive, and sell the electric power from my solar panels back to the utility where they can use it to reduce the need for burning coal to make electricity." And now, under your wise decision, the EV has become unnecessary.

Ok, so you saly, "Go to heck, Jim, I want to show off to my girlfriend with a flashy Tesla," and you reserve the power for yourself to use it in that Tesla that you go out and buy. The accounting, as I see it, is that the utility will have to use more coal as a consequence of your decision. And this ignores the fact that you will also have to cough up around $120K for the battery bucket, muscle car callled a Tesla Roadster beyond what you would have paid for the Prius.

This is not physics. It is simply the events that we should expect from rational people.