View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #707 (permalink)
roguethunder
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
Are you sure your mpg has jumped?

The newer Buicks with the 3.8 are amazing in being able to get 30 mpg in stock form with a bit of careful driving. I had one that would cruise at 50 at 1100 rpms. Wish I still had it, I bet I could get to high 20s with it!

And there are guys here with very similar vehicles getting very good mpgs.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-8-a-9425.html
Sadly, yes. I'm fairly certain on the jump. Mind, it was only about 2-3 MPG(course, thats about 10%...)... Actually would bet some good recalibration would have done as good or much better before the engine started dieing... Was actually just considering looking into said when life interrupted, and while life interrupted the car started acting worse and worse XD...
Can't even afford(or find, frankly) someone competent enough to figure out what things are actually wrong with the poor thing though... so...
Have had it looked at twice now... different hypotheticals each time... no solid answer. Suspect at this point there's something wrong with the flywheel or some major interconnect near it... At least 1-2 cylinders... the fuel pump...
Oh yes, and whatever damage the previous owner did to it towing a trailer near its max load through steep hills with one grade heavier oil than should ever be in the engine was in it overheating most of the way... *shudders* don't even want to think of the MPG that trip must of had...

It's a 92 Buick Century... with one of the saddest 3 speed automatic trannies I've ever seen. And as noted... not really... in ah... good shape.

I suppose I've gotten the upper 20s out of it on freeway before... though this thing is just plain horrid in-town.
But I digress... I'm strongly bias. The car I was raised around was a 1990 Civic Hatchback with the 1.5L and manual tranny. I forever will measure every car up to that beauty. 45MPG in san-freaking-fran on hills. Now THAT is a car. Even if I have only gotten to drive that thing about 3 times...

Honestly, I have no need for such a bulky car, and don't really like it. Only reason I drive it is it's all I have--got it from my gramps about 2 years back because he was going to only get 500$ trade-in on it... And well. At the time it was running just fine(until the aforementioned trip to me towing...)... And I needed something to learn to drive on. Ding up and not care. That sort. Must say, it did that dandy.
Rather have something that parking is a bit less... tight with.

XD Suppose I should have specified that it was an old Buick. Though. 92 imo is just middle aged for a car...