View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #70 (permalink)
Accord_Guy
EcoModding Lurker

Hey, I'm new to the forum but thought I could add a little something here.
I've got a 94 Accord (2.2l) that I've been running successfully on 2 cylinders for the past month or so. I have not modded the engine yet to remove the extra drag from the 2 'spare' pistons moving up and down nor have I removed the rockers from the valve train. The effect thus far is that the engine runs a little rough at low RPM but runs sufficiently smooth and with enough power to achieve and maintain highway speeds. The ECU in this model is dumb enough to not care that I am only running 2 cylinders and does NOT post any codes. I have simply disconnected 2 injectors and connected a load on the injector lead so that electrically the computer thinks that the injectors are still there. I used old injectors and they are simply dangling down the side of the engine.
My plan is to complete the mechanical mods which include removing the rockers and pistons (leaving cut-off con-rods on the crank) and re-timing the balance shafts as best as can be to help with low RPM wobble. Once all this done I will be getting an emissions Test and doing a consumption test run of 400-500Km. I am fairly confident that this will work but would like to take it another step... these engines are usually fairly smooth at low RPM because they have 2 balance shafts, it'd be great to find the right timing to re-balance the engine to allow it to idle well as well. Your thoughts?