View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
scotter
EcoModding Lurker

Squirlador - '02 Hyundai Accent
90 day: 43.73 mpg (US)
Talking noob w/ hyundai and a dream

I have been reading your site for a couple weeks now and must say that I am impressed I have driven with many of the hypermiler and never knew that it had a name much less that I was a wannabee groupee without a group. I have an 02 hyundai accent with no mods, no aerodynamics (unless you count the nonfunctional spoiler and the empty ports where fog lights could go). Driving on a all to reapeatable commute and unpredicable traffic, I have gotten as high as 40mpg on a tank. Based on an EPA avg of 28, not too shabby. Strange that my highway doesn't keep up with the 40mpg but that is another story. Basjoos was referenced from another guy who is my hero of jimmy rigging. I searched his name and it brought me here. Since then, I have made cardboard cutouts for front and rear, duct taped off my front end (left half open for now to make sure don't overheat), and have found a coroplast source. Also appreciate knowing computer 'mods' are not going to help me and neither will a fancy K&N air filter. Couple questions.

1. like the Kammback idea and boat seems a bit too much for first step. has anyone done this on a 4 dr sedan? did it help much like it does on the hunchbacks (yes, know is hatchback)? Might make a cardboard one to see but if someone has done this, how did you attach the kammback? would like to damage the car as little as possible as I am in a salt the road and eat your car state.

2. have seen versions of front wheel aeromods (liked the rubber membrane idea) but only one I saw that kind of worked was Basjoos. Any other success?

3. rear wheel mods and bellytray- aluminum bar seems a bit spendy with little real function, any other type of support material tried that was good but cheap?

4. bending coroplast and potentially a clear material like acrylic sheet, does anyone know a good link to a tutorial on how to bend.

Thanks in advance from the new guy,
Scott