View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
no its not. and i should know, i've been a mechanic my whole life. whoever told you this was a bad thing to do, they are obviously not mechanically inclined. what was it that was suppose to happen if you did this? i am really interested what kind of crap someone told you.
If you are a real mechanic you should be well aware that idling is a BAD way to warm an engine as it takes an exceedingly long time to achieve operating temps vs putting a gentle load on it. Additionally real mechanics are well aware that the most wear in engines takes place on start-up... yes, because of the second or two of low oil pressure but mainly because of the cold temps- so it logically follows that starting engines but not long enough to achieve operating temps and/or starting them in a way that has a long warm-up period would be detrimental compared to only starting them when they can be quickly and fully warmed up AND on top of that, be warm enough LONG ENOUGH for acids and other condensate to largely be purged from the oil and crankcase. "Whoever" would be numerous OEMs and, well, just about any entity/individual that has obtained the data to back it up. Another thing real mechanics do is more or less stay up to date on new tech including maintenance and repair tech...

Last edited by Frank Lee; 09-23-2010 at 12:57 AM..