View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #113 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac257 View Post
Are you saying that the electric fan for a car/truck shouldn't be on if the car is moving?

I think mine is on all the time. I know it starts up as soon as the vehicle is on even if it is cold out. Maybe it turns off after I start moving but I cant tell from all the other noise once the thing starts moving. Maybe I will put a short wire from the connector out front of grill to top of hood with a little light to see if it goes on and off? Is it controlled from a thermostat (might be broken)?
If your fan is relay-actuated, then an LED will work. If it is electronically controlled, then there is almost always a small, residual voltage that will keep the LED on all the time, even when the current is too small to move the fan. The latter is the case with my car - I put an LED on the fan supply wire and it turned out to be an engine-on light. Maybe it would work if I put that through a relay which closes only when there is enough current to start the fan?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread