View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #115 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
There's no reason to worry about the temps even if they climb up to the 200-210 range. The boiling point of water is 212 and you have a water antifreeze mix that won't boil til north of 250.

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread yet, but it would be possible to have an automatic grill opening actuated by the fan. Wire a door lock actuator so it is given a signal to open a certain amount, with a limit switch to open the circuit when the actuator moves to a certain point. Have another limit switch for the closed limt. Then you can wire it so it is given power to open by the fan turning on. I'm not sure how to wire it for when the fan is turned off though, unless a solenoid is used to open the closing curcuit when the fan is activated.

Is there a 2 position relay that is spring loaded that'll close a curcuit when activated then close another circuit when deactivated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.