View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #72 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
You mean Rest In Pieces.

Any EMers with a DoD vehicle have real-world DoD fe increase data?
A little late to reply to your post...

I bought a 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 with 3.93 gears. It got at best, according to mileage/gallons math, 16.5 mpg on a highway trip. It had MDS, multiple displacement system.

I hooked up a light to one of the lifter solenoids to see when the system was on and off. It hardly ever came on. I shared the knowledge of the light and it seems the guys with the 4x4's and 3.55 gears, but the same model truck, were constantly in MDS mode on the highway. They were getting 21-22 mpg with a 390 hp Hemi. Compare that to pre-MDS, 345 hp Hemi trucks, 4x4's with 3.55's, getting 16-17 at best. But, to please this forum, I have no real data other then being the owner of 3 Hemi 4x4 Ram's and frequenting forums.

So in my personal experience, no, I never got an increase because the system never worked in my truck.

A thought. Thinking out loud through my keyboard... What if, a 2 cylinder turbo? The turbo would allow for those emergency situations where the car would need to move, but not be spooled under say, 3000 rpm?? Finding a suitable 2 cylinder that would produce low end torque to move a car effectively in an rpm range out of boost is an issue. Most 2 cylinder engines, like mentioned, are performance oriented designed to move 400-800 motorcycles.

Another thought. Use a tiny diesel from a generator. Check out Kubota's engine line up. They have 9-50 hp 2 to 4 cylinder diesel engines. They don't list torque though. I am sure a new one is going to be $$$ but there are plenty of used generators on Ebay.

Last edited by sarguy01; 09-23-2010 at 09:33 PM..