View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
So far my camo van is an easy one to figure. I moved the rear mud flaps to the front and made a grill cover from materials that I had around my shop. Although not free they were already paid for. A couple of yards of $1/yard polyester fabric, 1 yard of carbon fabric $20, a pint of epoxy $10, duct tape $5.

So probably so far 37 dollars in material.

I am may spend another $50-75 on aero mods. And will spend another 20 on spray paint, sand paper. I doubt if I will tamper with my drivetrain. It is running normal right now and is fairly high mileage. I have some composite repairs in the rocker panels, covering rust through areas under the left sliding door.

I saw 26.7 mpg on my last fill and the conditions were not ideal. I am hoping to average 27 or higher, particularly with straight highway driving. I am wondering if my engine computer will improve its tuning as it adjusts to my new driving style.

Add 75 dollars for an Ultrascan gauge.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 10-01-2010 at 08:48 AM..