View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
5speed5
EcoModding Apprentice

TBSS - '08 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS 2WD
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '09 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 22.96 mpg (US)

Big Blue Hippo - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saand View Post
Regarding your mods you possibly could have done them cheaper
- Tonneau cover: could have been just cheap wood as the cover, the wood would cost less than $10 for size of a truck bed. For the method of fixing to the side of the truck bed it might get a bit costly if you want to attach and detach.
Yeah, I made mine with wood from Home Depot (had to buy two 4x8 sheets of 5 mm plywood, $10 each, plus some 1x2 for a frame, $4 for all). The expensive stuff was the stain, spar urethane, and good-quality weather stripping, then screws, caulk. There's still lots of the wood left over, so
that will be free for any future mods.

Quote:
Smooth hub caps: could have been coroplast, doesn't look great but its cheap and you can spray paint it make it look better
Yeah, my Colorado was nice enough looking that I wanted to keep it that
way. If I'd still had my '98 Metro, the coroplast or pizza pans would have
been my choice.

Quote:
Electric fan: could have gotten from a wrecker maybe even if you couldn't find one for your particular truck could have made up mounting brackets. Regarding the controller a cheap thermo switch would have done the job and wouldn't cost very much (i haven't looked into this so can say for sure)
All the cheap ones I found were for hotrods which turned on at 170 or 180 and turned off at 160. My fans would have been running non-stop. I ended up getting an adjustable one for each truck. I'm pretty happy with them.

Quote:
So there are ways to do the mods cheaper and if your thinking of a mod that you think will cost a lot of money you can post on here and you might get cheaper suggestions. I guess at the end of the day if you want a professional finish and good looking car you are likely to have to pay more than the average ecomodder.
Yes, that's definitely the case for my Trailblazer and somewhat the case for
my Colorado.