View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #76 (permalink)
Accord_Guy
EcoModding Lurker

Disabling/removing 2 cylinders from 4 cylinder engine

G'day fellow ecomodders. I have lived the experience and want to say that...
Having run my 2.2l engine with 2 injectors disconnected thus running on only 2 cylinders has in fact worsened my gas mileage as it would seem that the O2 sensor is still trying to compensate for the whole double the air coming in through all 4 cylinders and only having fuel going through the 2 thing. So I decided to disable the valves for the 2 non-working cylinders by removing the rockers for the affected valves from the valve-train. I have simply removed the rockers from the valve-train and 'welded' the oil passages shut (all up approx. 45 min).
As you can see from the picture, the rockers for the #2 and 3 cylinders are no longer there.
Interesting results - The vehicle has gained significantly in performance and reportedly sounds like a Harley.

I've taken it out onto the freeway and it has no problems achieving and maintaining 100Kph... and is actually still loads of fun to drive.

Next MOD - I will remove the sump (oil pan) and remove the 2 pistons and con-rods, replacing them with hose clamps to block the oil passages). If I can remove the piston altogether from underneath I will, otherwise I will push them up and tek-screw them into place. The net effect will be that I will be running a clean 2 cylinder engine in closed-loop mode which should be able to pass the eTest and give me excellent gas mileage... Or, I will end up with a really big paper-weight and have to replace my engine. This engine had a bad #2 cylinder anyways so no loss either way.

I'll keep you posted.

Accord_Guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve train_1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	6910  
The Following User Says Thank You to Accord_Guy For This Useful Post:
saand (09-24-2010)