View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
no its not. and i should know, i've been a mechanic my whole life.
I've seen too many people doing too many things they'd better not do, and all referred to the age-old line "That's how it's always done / That's how I've always done it."

We'd still be in he stone-age if no-one ever challenged these ideas.

Quote:
whoever told you this was a bad thing to do, they are obviously not mechanically inclined.
As seen in the previous answers, they are in the good company of motorcycle manufacturers.

- It's wasting gas, while going nowhere.
- Where do the exhaust fumes go in those 10-20 minutes ?
- As it's dead cold, the bike will use an enriched mixture - wasting even more fuel.
- It's reducing the fuel in the tank, while it's a good thing to have the tank as full as possible to keep condensation and corrosion away.
- Start-up wear is at its worst on a cold engine. It shows up in oil analysis wether an engine does many cold starts / short trips or not.
- Long idling is disapproved by the manufacturers - especially on air-cooled bikes.
- Idling with the bike tilted on the side stand can even lead to uneven and localised insufficient lubrication.
- I no longer have my Suzuki manual (nor the bike), but IIRC it wasn't even recharging the battery at idle rpm - barely keeping up with demand.

While my bike stood unused - months on end, up to a year ! - the battery was stored warm and dry, and on a trickle charger.
My bike went away with the original Yuasa battery in it, after 8.5 years.