View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #78 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Accord guy great post, thanks for that info gives me a lot more confidence in this mod. Especially good to see you have a 2.2L as well and your car can maintain 100kph without issue.
Before you make any more changes i would be very interested to know if you have any efficiency gains with only the changes you have made so far. In the event that removing the pistons ends up that your engine vibrates its way out of the engine bay what you have now might be a good half way point that others could do if you are getting an efficiency gain.
I think anyone looking to do this mod is looking for at least above a 5% gain so an inaccurate test result (not an ABA test) would still be very useful. So if you have any info on efficiency for a tank fill from your standard car compared to your now deactivated 2 cylinder engine id be interested to know.

Also how did you weld your oil passages shut. Is this done with a Tig, Mig or arch welder. I am not even sure what type of metal the oil passages are.
Anyone know if the oil passages could be closed up with some other method like epoxy or a plug that can be removed later if the mod doesn't work out.