Thread: tuft testing
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
tuft testing

I got out my tuft testing wand for yesterdays commute. My wife drove the mini van. My wand is basically a 5' fiberglass rod with 4-5 yarn tufts taped on the end.

Air flow was straight back on all areas of the hood. There was slight turbulence behind the wipers but 3-4" above them the air was moving well on the windshield. Along the nose at the sides it was once again good all the way to the wheel well opening. Tufts seemed fine above the wheel well even back a ways above it. Like wise the area behind the mirror was very turbulent. Of course the window was down so that I could use the wand. You cant test without introducing change.

I plan on doing some more tuft testing but have already obtained some data. Just goes to show that viewing data and copying from someone else's car is useful.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 09-25-2010 at 07:34 AM..