View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
iplaysdrums
Learning a lot

Tony - '15 Honda Fit EX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
I just posted fuel logs for the past couple of months. Best tank was 33.something, worst was 25.something (which is what I used to get all the time).

After an inexplicable run-in with a curb (don't ask me, I wasn't in the car), I removed the aluminum side skirts before the last tank posted (refill was 2010.09.19). There was little effect, which isn't terribly surprising, considering how little highway driving I usually do. The 25.something mpg tank was partially due to my taking a break from eco-driving techniques to alleviate some stress and give me a couple of weeks to drive the car like its sporty self, but there was also an unfortunate incident involving the first hard rain in several months and a return trip from the airport which took nearly two hours (with no traffic it's about 20 minutes). On the way back from the airport, I had an extra ~250 lbs of person and luggage, which certainly didn't decrease fuel consumption.

I ordered some square foam water noodles online a couple of days ago, and when they come in, I'll be making new, improved side skirts, making a more attractive airdam, and possibly adding some aero touches to the rear bumper if I have any left over. I'll post lots of pictures, as I think this is a fairly unorthodox building material.

Also, I saw an R56 (2007+) MINI Cooper today with a trip device built into the C pillar. I'm not sure if they're all like that (I'd think I'd've noticed!), but it looked pretty cool, and I'm sure it was aerodynamically functional.

Last edited by iplaysdrums; 09-26-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: forgot something!