Thread: tuft testing
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Hi Otto,
I did notice that the wand when held down near the front wheel gave me a lot of swirling. I couldn't observe the any lower than about the top half.

There is a short smooth belly pan from the grill at the bottom to the radiator.

A couple of weeks ago I had removed the rear mud deflectors and screwed them in front of the front wheel. I thought that they might work out perfectly but they were tilted as the front of the body curls around underneath more than the shape does further back. Also they were only half as wide as the tire.

I am in the process of fabricating a custom wheel deflector. I used 9 gauge wire and bent and welded it into shape. I am hand sewing some dacron fabric onto it. I will then shrink the fabric a bit with heat then lay on some composite cloth and wet it out with epoxy. The wire and fabric can be removed after it cures.

I have taken some photos of the frame and will try and document it. I realize that these are not the photos that you are asking about. I might suggest that pictures of air flow around my front tires may not be relevant to your car.

It truly has not been tuft tested but the shape makes some sense. I may create a rubber dam under the front.
EDIT
wire only:

Here is the form that I am going to carbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Any chance you could do some pics of tufts under the car nose, esp. to see airflow to and around the front wheels?

I'm especially curious about the angle of incidence of flow to and around the wheels.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 09-26-2010 at 07:17 PM..