View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
bmwboarder
EcoModding Lurker

OregonOutback - '01 Subaru Outback
90 day: 27.97 mpg (US)
Subaru CVT vs 6-speed Manual

I am wondering which would be more ideal for hypermiling, a 6-speed stick shift, or a cvt. The base car that I am interested in (hypothetically) is a Subaru Outback with the 2.5l 4 cyclinder.

CVT:
Rated 22/29. Possibility for incredibly high gear ratios, but can you get it to drive in a high ratio?? Can you put it in neutral and coast? Probably would be better for cruising at 65mph with cruise control on, but would it be better all around?

6-Speed:
Rated 19/27. Much more control of the gear ratios. Even 6th isn't all that high of a ratio though, from what I recall reading somewhere. Could definitely coast and pulse/glide easily.

I currently have a 2001 outback with a 5spd stick, and I can regularly get 29-32mpg, and I'm still learning a lot from this site. I never get even close to the 21mpg city rating that my current car has. Would that likely be the case in the 6-speed too? To otherwise complicate my thoughts, on the subaru forums, many users with the new cvt seem to easily get into the mid-thirties, and from what I can tell, they aren't trying to get amazing gas mileage.

Does anyone have a newer outback with either of these setups? Anyone with a scangauge? Any other thoughts regarding one or the other?